Sunday, December 19, 2010

ho, ho, holy cow, the boy loves santa

So I showed the little man the video from Santa (see previous post) and he was just blown away. "How does he know that?!?!" He said, shaking his head in disbelief. "UNBELIEVABLE." When I plugged the images into the video, I wasn't sure if he was really going to buy into it. But he totally ate it up and loved it. Which is why this probably happened.

Friday night we had a long-overdue appointment scheduled downtown. His haircuts are sort of a big deal -- it happened by default. We used to take him to Kids' Hair. But then, Ed thought it would be fun to schedule their haircuts together at a place that had a pool table, and they could play pool together while they waited for their appointment. They did that for a while and really enjoyed it until the place got more popular and had to make room for more chairs -- goodbye pool table. Also, Ed realized he could save $30 a month and cut his hair at home. Hello #2 razor (and hairy bathroom floor)!

But since the little man had developed a relationship with his stylist (hehe), and we liked the job she was doing, we continue to get his hair cut there, even if it means paying for parking downtown. So we usually schedule it at about 5 or 6, we drive down there, call Papa when we get to his building, walk over to the barber shop, then dine on sushi, macaroni and cheese and salad at the Macy's cafeteria. Friday's haircut was no different only this time we asked Elian if he might want to see Santa (shot down last year and I think the year before that). But this year he said yes, and I had to do everything in my power not to do a little jig. I LOVE SANTA! and it just crushed me that my little boy didn't feel the same way.

Luckily, we cruised through the Santa line like nobody's business while the Holidazzle Parade suckers were watching the parade. There was a part of me that thought the little man might have second thoughts and want to turn around. After all, this appreciation for Santa was very new. Before Ed and I could even round the corner after the magic velvet curtain was parted, the boy was running to Santa with open arms. He jumped on his lap and was very quick to tell him that he got Santa's email. And began to chat up Santa complete with expressive hand gestures for a good few minutes. It's times like these that I wish I had a video camera built in to my brain, but we didn't even know we'd be seeing Santa. Hell, otherwise he would of worn his fancy Christmas sweater (wait, he doesn't own a fancy Christmas sweater).

Of course, the over-saturated Macy's photo doesn't do it justice, but as soon as my lovely assistant gets it scanned I will be sure to post it. As poor as my memory is these days, this was a Christmas memory that will definitely stay with me forever.

No comments: