Tuesday, March 07, 2006

and now for a really exciting topic

I can tell I'm getting old because lately I've been doing a lot of talking about my back. Aside from the upper shoulder tension that most people who work on computers can relate to, I've considered myself lucky to not to have a problem back. Until now.

Oh, I know what exactly is causing the pain. And I can almost say with 100 percent certainty, I know what any doctor will say should I decide to see one about this. But, I've already been to my favorite doctor, Dr. Google, and according to Dr. Google, I should bend at the knees when I lift, not at the hips -- oh, and I should also try to avoid lifting anything below my waist -- which, last time I checked, is the height of most one year-olds.

A lot of lifting goes on in this house. And while I can manage proper lifting alignment for some of it, most of it happens so fast egs.: "Elian, get your hands out of the toilet." (LIFT) And I'd like to see anyone try to put a 23-pound child in a crib, stroller or car seat without bending at least a little at the back. I've contemplated just dropping him in many times, but there are people who frown upon that sort of behavior. Besides, I kinda want him to like me.

It could also have to do with the fact that the only exercise I've been getting is walking the dog and lifting and carrying a small child. Or maybe I'm just old. Okay, I'm done whining about my back now.

Stay tuned for another installment of Exciting Blog Topics when we'll be discussing the fine nuances of the weather.

No comments: