Monday, August 25, 2008

goodbye jesse

The other night, Ed and Elian were having a battle of wills at bedtime. Ed was winning. That is, until Elian started sobbing and saying, "Jesse's leaving!!!"

Jesse is Elian's favorite teacher at playschool. He always plays basketball with Elian and had dubbed him "El-Train." They are total buddies.

Ed and I questioned the reality of Jesse's departure. Elian was so tired and this was the first I had heard that Jesse was leaving and I had just gotten the school newsletter the day before. I mentioned it to a friend whose boy goes to school there too. She didn't know but said she'd ask when she went to pick up AJ that afternoon.

According to her, Elian's story was true. Sort of. It seems kids these days working at daycare/pre-schools get this funny ideas about going to college in their heads. Jesse is going back to school and will have classes on the days that Elian is there. This makes me sad. Very sad.

Today was his first Jesse-free day at playschool. And I'm pleased to report he survived. Why, he even played with a few kids today. Fancy that.

No comments: