Thursday, August 28, 2008

he likes face paint -- and he has a friend!

Today, to celebrate my birthday, Elian took me to the Children's Museum.

About halfway into our stay, we spotted a little boy from his playschool named Demitri. Demitri's mom and I had been in a class together before and he always seemed like a very nice boy. And he seemed so happy to see Elian at the Children's Museum. Elian, on the other hand, was a little foggy at first trying to remember how he knew Demitri -- trying to place his face. But soon after it registered, he acted as if they were long lost friends. "Let's go over here, Demitri...!" "Hey, Demitri, look at this!" "Mama, isn't it nice that DEMITRI is here!?!?"

Soon Demitri and his mom told us they were going to eat lunch. It felt like we had just gotten there, so we did a few more things before sitting down to do the same. Once we did, Elian was all, "Demitri, this, Demitri, that...I LOVE Demitri... I want to go over to Demitri's house...I want to find Demitri after lunch..." Keep in mind, of all the times I've picked Elian up from playschool, he has not once said boo about Demitri.

After lunch, we spotted Demitri and his mom getting ready to leave. Elian so badly wanted to play some more with Demitri. WHO IS THIS CHILD AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH ELIAN?!? They said their good-byes and Elian gave Demitri a big hug. I told Elian he would see him again at playschool.

And as if that wasn't enough of a shock to my maternal system, the boy wanted to get his face painted too. He's never really been one to get messy. Doesn't often want to get wet or dirty. So face painting? Forget about it. I always have to laugh when I see my nieces and nephew because chances are good that they have some sort of face paint on. These kids enjoy a good face painting to put it mildly. Exhibit A.But not my boy. Every time I've asked him if he wanted to paint is face, he looks at me like, "AS IF!" Well, today I'm here to tell you there are snowflakes in hell. The boy did it, albeit in a delicate sparse manner, he painted his face. And just look at how happy it made him.

No comments: