Friday, August 22, 2008

polo anyone?

Yesterday I received a delightful birthday surprise from my friend Amy. My little helper asked if he could assist me in the opening of the package. As we made our way through the layers, one-by-one our efforts revealed English muffins, chocolate-chip scones, apple butter, cinnamon honey and crumpets.

I had never experienced a crumpet before. I told Elian what it was and read the packaging which recommended toasting it and spreading it with a topping of choice. Then he said, "I would like one of those trumpets in my snack while I watch something on TV."

While it was toasting, we had our own little Abbott and Costello-esque trumpet vs. crumpet schtick going on. I feigned exasperation and he giggled and continued to call it a trumpet. "Stop saying trumpet!" I pleaded with over-the-top drama. To which he replied, "Okay, I just have to say it one more time." There was a long dramatic pause, then ever-so-slowly he enunciated, "TRUM-PET."

After dinner he had some chocolate-chip scone for dessert. Next thing you know he'll be taking high tea.

No comments: