Sunday, April 05, 2009

a most awesome weekend

Oooowiee, what a nice weekend.

The highly-anticipated Duncan dropoff happened Thursday night just as the little man was going to bed. Elian loves Duncan. No, really. He LOVES Duncan. As do we. He's the most awesome dog ever (next to Norman). I've talked about him here. And here . And here. And who could forget here. When Elian found out Duncan was staying with us, he couldn't wait. He started counting down the days. And then Ed promised him he could camp out with Duncan on the floor which only heightened the anticipation.

Since Duncan is a senior citizen, we didn't want him climbing the stairs unnecessarily so we all camped out downstairs for the night Friday. I didn't quite make it the whole night. There's something about sleeping in the same room as Elian that keeps me awake all night -- that and maybe Duncan's sudden crazy breathing attacks. But the boy was in heaven curled up in his sleeping bag next to the dogs. Squirming his way to the hard-wood floor to clunk his head.





Saturday a friend invited us to go swimming at the swanky Minneapolis Club. Ed was the Man Who Got Things Done™ this weekend and installed the second ceiling fan we bought while the boy and I went for a swim. Elian has gotten a little braver in the water and made it across the pool several times on his own (with water wings). I'm contemplating a season pass for the water park near our house.

Today we took Elian to see his very first movie in a theater: Under the Sea Imax 3D! We took the wider seats they had at the center of the theater so Elian and I got to share a seat. It was hard not to watch him the entire time. While he reached out to grab for a fish that swam by, I thought he was going to hit the guy's head in front of him. As some of the sea creatures hunted their prey, I could feel his body tense up beside me. It was a fantastic first-movie experience for him that I will never forget and I have a feeling he won't either.

We've also been spending some time at the park with the dogs. Since Duncan has a little trouble with longer walks, I've been taking Norman and then meeting Ed and Elian back at the park where they let Duncan romp around and get his fill of sniffing. As soon as Norman spots them, I unhook his leash and he runs at them full speed. I'm going to try to get Ed to capture it on video from his perspective because it's pretty funny.

Okay, I think those were the highlights. Oh yeah, and I friended Mom on Facebook. Who knew she was on Facebook? Next thing you know she'll be poking me.

No comments: