Saturday, April 07, 2007

d money

For the past week, we've been taking care of my brother's dog, Duncan -- or D Money (the rap name we've given him along with his partner in crime, P Diddy, aka: Puppy Dog).

Ed and I, and especially Elian, really enjoy Duncan's visits and we love him as if he were our own. And since Norman grew up with Duncan, he's the only dog Norman will really tolerate. Duncan is without a doubt, the most mellow dog on the planet. If he could talk, I imagine he'd start every sentence with "Dude." I also imagine that he does bong hits when we're not looking. Duncan is a cuddler which is the complete opposite of Norman. Norman is more like a cat. He likes to be pet on his terms only. Not like Duncan who will curl up on the bed with you, inching closer and closer to you any chance he can get -- if he's not already lying on your head.

Elian is not used to having a real dog around the house. He's used to having his cat-dog Norman who he can't pet. So when Duncan's here, he is all about the cuddles. "I want to cuddle with Duncan... I want to give Duncan a hug... I love Duncan...." And Duncan just sits there and takes it as Elian wraps his arms around his enormous neck and rests his head on his back. Sometimes I feel bad that our little boy doesn't have a dog he can hug (or pet). I also feel bad that Norman has to hear Elian proclaim his love for Duncan at least four times a day. But Norman's neurosis is what makes him so darn lovable.

Some other of Duncan's endearing qualities have to do with his love (or obsession) with food. Around 3:30 you can expect to hear him impatiently pushing his food dish around waiting to be fed. And then there's the way he digs up rocks at the river and pulls them out with his mouth as if he's going to eat them whole.

Here is a picture I took of the two furry friends looking into the kitchen (it looked much better in real life). I imagine this is what they were thinking.

Norman: "For the love of god, woman, when is my next walk?!?"

Duncan: "Dude, where's my food? I've got a serious case of the munchies."

No comments: