Tuesday, August 25, 2009

get up, stand up

Last night, when Elian and I were heading downtown to pick up Papa, Bob Marley's "Get Up, Stand Up" was on the radio. I don't think the little man had ever heard that song before but judging by his unusual silence, I knew he was listening. When the song was over he made a request, "Mama, can you put my CD on?"

Later that night, when I was putting him to bed entirely too late because of our picnic festivities, he didn't want to get out of bed to brush his teeth. "I'm tooooooo TYYYYYYYYYYYYRED," he said. I said, "Get up, buddy, we have to brush your teeth." I could see the lightbulb go on in his curly-locked head as he replied in perfect Bob Marley rhythm, "Get up, stand up..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Jebus! This has been quite a flurry of hernan-dos postings. Your eager public awaits your next story! Write! Write like the wind!

amy said...

Shouldn't you be working?