Sunday, April 01, 2007

a poopy week. literally.

I arrived home last Sunday late night after an enjoyable Schulz Girls Weekend. I missed my fellas like crazy and was sad that I wouldn't be able to see little e until the morning.

Turns out, I got to see him sooner than I thought I would since he woke up at 4 a.m. I quickly learned why after fishing around in his crib for his Nuk, only to sweep my hand through a puddle of vomit. So he spent much of that morning in bed with us throwing up into a bowl. Then, I gave him the presents I bought for him in Arizona. Look how excited he looks. My sad little cowboy.

(I still don't know why my photos are sideways -- my resident geek can't figure it out either.)

The vomiting on Monday quickly turned to diarrhea on Tuesday and all the poor boy could do was lie on the couch and moan (and go diarrhea). Ed had the genius idea to double up the diapers with a cloth one inside the disposable diaper. This is why I married the man, people!

The diarrhea continued through the week and our little boy was weak and listless -- he wouldn't even crack a smile. It was very scary. I debated taking him into the doctor knowing full well they'd tell me it was just a virus and it had to pass. I made a call to the nurse who told me they had been seeing a lot of this particular virus that can last a week or longer. They've seen a lot of cramping too which would explain his moaning.

He hadn't been able to eat or drink anything all week. Then suddenly, Friday night we were lying on the bed talking about the Children's Museum. I reminded him about the little penny machine and how it squashed the pennies like a pancake. Before the word even got out of my mouth he said, "Pancake. I want a pancake!" Since he had suggested things before that he might eat and changed his mind, I offered, "How about a waffle." He agreed so we went downstairs and he ate HALF a waffle. Then when he was finished, he ate the other half! It was a MIRACLE WAFFLE. I'll spare you the details of what happened next but let's just say, I'll never look at our green towels the same way. But after that, it was like he was cured. He's little by little getting better. And yesterday, he actually moved off the couch.

He's now entered into a very grumpy phase so he's not entirely himself yet. We're not used to having a grumpy kid -- we don't know what to do with him. At one point he was crabbing and crying and we said, "You're being Mr. Grumps -- we want Mr. Happy back." And as he choked back his tears, he cried, "I AM MR. HAPPY!"

No comments: