Monday, August 27, 2007

HOTY

Ladies and gentlemen, we're pleased to announce this year's Husband of the Year award recipient. Drum roll please. (Dancing girls enter stage right).

Ed Hernandez!!

Can you say, "surprise birthday weekend IN CHICAGO?" Yes, the man tricked me. He done tricked me real good. After telling me his parents were coming for the weekend, he finally revealed that instead we were going to Chicago. As much as I love the in-laws and all, that option appealed to me slightly more.

And just when I thought I had been the recipient of the mother of all surprises, he got my whole family (except for my brother who apparently doesn't love me) to meet at Buca for a heart-attack-inducing surprise birthday dinner for me. "Why are we going to Buca when we're in this city chock-full of phenomenal restaurants?" I thought to myself. Then WHAMO! there's the entire Schulz family who made the drive from Racine and Milwaukee to partake in the celebration. Even my big nephews Matt and Sean who are usually way too cool for the likes of Aunt Amy. And this was all organized by none other than my husband, he-who-does-not-celebrate-birthdays.

But wait, that's not all, my friend. Lest you think there was no cake, there was. Oh, there was. In fact, he had ordered my favorite Danish Layer Cake from the O&H Bakery in Racine that my mom generously agreed to pick up and transport to the Windy City. Turns out relentless whining over cakeless birthdays does pay!

The Chicago Weekend Highlights:
• The surprise itself was pretty darn awesome.
• All the talk leading up to the arrival in Chicago -- how we were going to be on the Jerry Springer show because we had "something to tell each other" culiminating with Ed saying he had to remember to pack his diapers and his giant pacifier.
• Eating Thai food with Elian and witnessing his inner conflict with peanut satay. Mmmm, it's so sweet and delicious. No, wait, it's hot! Waa -- need water! (takes another bite) But wait, it's so sweet and delicious. Don't. Like. It. Hot, hot, hot! WATER! (takes another bite). Mmmmmmm, I LIKE IT!
• The architectural tour down the Chicago River after Elian one-by-one asked if each person standing in line loved him.
• Splashing in the fountain at Millenium Park and watching Papa bat the beach ball to the sky by the Frank Gehry amphitheater.
• Being admittedly a little disappointed to be dining at Buca, only to find nearly my entire family waiting at the table.
• Watching my fellow sweet tooth son, remove no fewer than three frosting flowers from the top of my birthday cake and pop them in his mouth.
• Swimming in the hotel pool way past the boy's bed time.
• Hearing Elian mention show and tell again and again only to realize more than halfway through our trip that he was referring to the hotel.

And the lowlights:
• Being held up at the airport on our way out because apparently someone on the "no fly" list has a name very similar to one of ours. Great.
• Forgetting our camera when we went to Millenium Park where photo ops abounded (not to mention, not having it later when we met up with my family for part two of the surprise).
• That Ed didn't take more pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ed!!
Husbands across America are scatching their heads wondering, "How am I going to top that?"
Although Mark pointed out to me that Ed can only be the husband of the year in your household, since he has always been elected husband of the year in our household (13 years in a row - I guess all my other husbands are not very creative)
Glad you had a fabulous b-day weekend.
Happy 21st b-day (is that the right number?)
Love, Amy

amy said...

Most definitely Mark deserves a HOTY. If not for the mere fact that the poor man has to put up with those shopping habits of yours!

bon bon said...

oh wow! someone has been very good this year! what a great surprise! minneapolis has it's perks too, but no one ever plays tourist in their own town.

elian's thai experience was a riot! but when isn't that kid adorable...come on!

finally, i'm going to make a safe bet and guess that elian picked out ed's t-shirt. ;o)