Tuesday, November 06, 2007

beeeg boy in da heez-ousssssss

(DORK ALERT! 40-year old white woman trying to talk like Snoop Dog.)

For a while, I've been contemplating switching over to a different children's clinic. Our place has a good reputation and we like our pediatrician. It's just everything else about the place that I'm not so fond of. Crabby nurses. Pay to park. Not real great on the administrative end. Same-day appointments are hard to come by. And then there was this experience.

But I mentioned to Elian that he needed to get a flu shot and immediately he remembered the kinetic sculpture ("ball thing") at the doctor's office. I wasn't quite sure how he was going to react about the whole shot thing since it had been a while. And since he seemed so excited to see the ball thing again, I figured we'd go to our regular place again. One might think that the crying that followed might of been because he was going to go to the doctor to get a shot. No. It was because we weren't going to go there RIGHTTHISVERYSECOND.

We tried to get there early so he could see it before his shot and then again after. But I swear I'm going to start leaving an hour ahead of time even if I'm going across the street. Because when I think I'm leaving so early, we never get there in the leisurely timeframe I'd expect. Stupid 35W bridge. Stupid wrong turn. Stupid puffy winter coat that car seat straps wouldn't fit around.

With a quick potty stop once we got there, there was only about a minute to spare before our appointment. So I made big promises of adequate ball-thing viewing time after our appointment.

The shot went flawlessly. Not one tear. And as the nurse (very nice nurse, I might add) put on his bandaid, little e told her all about how he was going to go downstairs and watch the ball thing.

We get down there and guess what wasn't working. Luckily, he took it very well. And we only had to sit and watch it not work for about 10 minutes before he gave up on it and realized it was in fact, not working. Nor was it going to start working in the near future.

And speaking of big boy. Have I mentioned how proud I am of my little monkey? He's doing such an awesome job with his big-boy undies. I think if I had known how well he was going to do, I would've put them on him a few months ago. In fact, I usually put a diaper on him before his nap and for bedtime just in case. Right now he's napping without one. He insisted he try napping with his big-boy undies. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: