Saturday, October 25, 2008

halloween crisis

After he got over the fact that he couldn't be a chicken butt for Halloween, the little man told me he wanted to be a dalmatian. I lost the bidding war on Ebay for a Disney costume, so a few weeks ago I picked one up at Party City instead. It was a size 2-4T. He wears a size 3T. I figured it would be fine. I mean, aren't Halloween costumes supposed to fit big?

There's a big Halloween party tonight at the Children's Museum. So yesterday we took the dalmatian costume out of the bag to try it on. The costume was so teeny-tiny, it looked more like 18 mos. I tried squeezing him into it. No luck. I knew they didn't take returns on costumes at Party City. But I thought if I was going to do an even exchange they might make an exception. They said they would IF I had my receipt. I didn't.

We got home. I was feeling like a failure as a mother when the little man said to me, "That's okay, Mama, I'll just dress up as a...as a... BOX!" We both laughed. Then he said, "No, wait. I'll go as a... as a... TABLE! no as (looking around the room) a... as a... CHAIR!" We both got going naming off all of the inanimate objects around the house that he could wear as a Halloween costume. Luckily I have a son that relishes the wearing of costumes as much as his father and he didn't seem too phased by his Halloween misfortune (unlike his mother).

This morning the two of us took a trip to Target, Old Navy, Kohls Department Store AND JC Penny and striked out at every single one. No Halloween costumes for my little man.

Soooo....guess who's wearing a box to the Halloween party tonight?

No comments: