Monday, November 10, 2008

you're welcome, usps

The little man has found his muse. Out of nowhere he'll announce, "I want to write a letter to (insert name here)". The lucky recipient is usually a grandma or grandpa or maybe the last people to send him candy in the mail like MISTERANDMISSUSRODGERS.

After raiding my office supplies, he'll sit at the table where he'll begin penning (or crayoning) his thoughts. He dictates what he wants to say, and I'll spell it out for him while doing dishes. It usually goes something like this: "Dear Grandma and Grandpa, I love you. You are my best friend. Love, Elian" He sent one to Papa at work the other day that said: "Dear Papa, I like playing pool with you. Love, Elian"

He often embellishes his prose with little boxes. Then, after completing his cover art, he attempts to slide it into the 6x9 envelope but usually calls for assistance. He insists on licking the envelope himself and never fails to ask about the pesky clasp. And finally, he carefully selects one of the Disney stamps he picked out at the post office, places it on the envelope and walks it out to the mailbox.

No comments: