Wednesday, October 20, 2010

double double toil and trouble

Last weekend the little man had a Halloween-themed birthday party. About a week before, he had told me he wanted to be a witch for Halloween. Apparently his friend Estella was going to be a Candy Corn Witch and I guess my little lemming thought being a witch was where it's at.

While I have no problem dressing him in a girly costume if that is his wish, I wasn't sure if he knew that it's typically girls who dress as witches. And considering he had already been teased at pre-school for playing with dolls, I didn't want him to be unprepared to face the macho five-year-old wrath who would undoubtedly be dressed as super heroes.

With the party fast approaching, Ed gave him a casual warning telling him there was a possibility that one of the boys might tease him since usually girls dress up as witches. And I'm proud to say, he didn't care. To quote him exactly, "Who cares what people think!" I think he was mostly excited to put green makeup on his face and to wear one of my black shirts.

After cobbling the costume together with a $3 hat purchase, one of my shirts and a recycled super-hero cape given to him at a party last year, he ended up looking a little creepy (maybe it was the botched makeup job). I don't think the kids knew exactly what to think of him. He came home from the party and proudly exclaimed, "No one called me a girl!"

Victory! Or is it?




2 comments:

bon bon said...

you guys have raised about the coolest kid on earth...

amy said...

Thanks. We think he's pretty cool too. (And your comment is a lot more enjoyable than the Copy and Paste Job comment).