Friday, October 29, 2010

tick or treat

Every year my sweet friend Amy sends the little man a stash of Halloween treats in the mail. She knows he's like his mother and has a soft spot for "disgusting but good" sweets. And every year her selection gets a little bit more daring. It started with Pop Rocks, Razzles and the like. But then she ventured into the EXTREME sour category, the fun dips and the Hot Tamales Fire.

Well, this year she has completely outdone herself. Yes, this year my boy received a box in the mail with a skull and cross bones that said, "I Dare You: hot, sour and just plain nasty confectionary treats." How do you define "just plain nasty?" you ask. Well, you might think it's the Toxic Waste Hazardously Sour Candy. Or maybe it's the Pet Tarantula gummi candy. Or could it be the War Heads Super Sour Double Drops. No, my friends it would not. Because this box contained (wait for it, wait for it)....


Mexican Spice LARVETS - the original worm snax and lest you think they are real, the first ingredient listed is larva.

But wait, that's not all. Inside the box there were also some chocolate-covered insects which lists insect larva or crickets in the ingredients. And finally, and orange-flavored lollipop with a worm inside. We will be saving these goodies for Thanksgiving in Janesville where we will host a Thanksgiving Fear Factor with the boy and his cousins.

Part of the reason I get out of a groove with this blog, is that the little dude says so many funny things that it's hard to remember them all. Like when it came time to call my friend Amy and tell her thank you for the tasty Halloween treats. I just gave him the phone and let him say whatever he wanted. He said a pleasant thank you and ended the call with this:

"I'm going to save a chocolate-covered insect for you. WITHOUT THE CHOCOLATE!!!!"

Thanks Amy! You're the best. (Those are my words, not his, but I know he'd agree.)

2 comments:

Amy R. said...

In my defense - I thought they were going to be fake bugs - like a gummy worm - not REAL BUGS - that is just gross. And no, you do not need to save me a chocolate covered bug without the chocolate - I wouldn't even eat it if it was double dipped in chocolate with sprinkles on top!!

amy said...

I didn't even mention some of the jelly belly bean boozled flavors: skunk spray, rotten egg, canned dog food, booger, baby wipes, pencil shavings, barf, moldy cheese, centipede...

Who do you think we are -- some kind of SICKOS!?!?