Thursday, August 31, 2006

it's a bird, it's a plane -- it's a football

For some reason, we get a lot of blimps in these parts. It just seems like lately you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

A couple months ago, there was this one blimp that was flying over downtown practically every day. I began to get sort of annoyed by it. I mean, when did blimps become so ubiquitous? Aren't they supposed to be some kind of novelty -- kind of a special sighting? Apparently not these days.

So today when we were at the park, what did we see? A blimp, of course. And it was circling precisely over our heads as if I was the sole target of its blimptastic Met Life message. It was probably the closest I've ever been to a blimp in flight. But when I pointed it out to little e, he seemed unimpressed. "It's a blimp -- a blimp!" I said. But he'd only turn his head the other way. So then I told him, "Look, a big football in the sky!" Ohh, you can bet he was paying attention then. But try as he did, he just couldn't reach the football.

No comments: