Friday, October 19, 2007

into the weird

I reserved the book, Into the Wild, from the library. I've been sort of interested in the story after hearing Sean Penn talk about it. And since he made a movie about it and all....I mean, if it's good enough for SEAN PENN it's good enough for me.

I went to pick the book up from the library. But it wasn't a book at all but instead CDs. So much for reading the description before clicking the button. (Note to self: Must start reading copy before clicking button.) I'm not usually a big fan of books on tape unless it's being read by the author. I prefer to make up the voices in my head. But since I had been waiting a while for the book (cd), I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Since Elian's had the portable CD player in his room listening to HIS books on tape, I thought I'd put it on my iPod. That way, I could listen to it while I walked Norman or before falling asleep. So last night I start it out. I'm all nestled and snug in the bed. Listening. Listening. Hmmm, this seems a little odd. This story kinda goes all over the place. Voice of rationalization in my head: "Yeah, but it was written based on diary entries and all... it sort of makes sense that it wouldn't necessarily be in chronological order, GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU BOOKS-ON-TAPE-HATING SKEPTIC!" So I listen. And I listen. Hmmm, very odd. Wasn't he just telling me about this five minutes ago? Why wouldn't the writer have completed that thought all together?? Weird. I look at my iPod. This just doesn't seem right.

That's when I realized I had it set to "shuffle."

No comments: