Thursday, October 04, 2007

a proud mama moment

Elian and I have been taking a little class where we spend some time playing together. Then there's some singing in a circle followed by snack time. After snack time, the parents go to a different room and the children play. There is an early childhood teacher and three assistant teachers who assist the children with various activities.

One of the best parts of the class is returning to the children's room after parent time and spying on Elian before he realizes I'm there. I love to see him interact with other people. Last week when I came into the room, he was sitting at a tiny table with one of the assistant teachers and two other children and he was treating them all to a delicious lunch of plastic food. (He had three plastic donuts on his plate. The other kids had vegetables and chicken -- SUCKERS!) Today when I came in, he was going head first down a little slide into a big cushy mat.

While we were gathering our stuff and getting ready to leave, Dorothy, the early childhood teacher said to me. "He's such a nice boy...he's so well-adjusted...he makes our jobs so easy...he's so polite...you've done such a great job with him" Then one of the assistants chimed in, "Oh yes, he's so polite..." and they went on and on just gushing about my boy. It was awesome with a capital A. I normally wouldn't be so braggy braggy, but I figure I'd better enjoy these moments (and brag about them) while I can. One day he's going to be in fifth grade and I suspect the teachers might have something else to report.

No comments: