Monday, March 03, 2008

the power of candy

When Elian started playschool, he really, really loved it. Then, right before we left to Florida, he decided he didn't like it too much. He would ask me that day if he had to go to playschool and when I said yes, he would start to cry. Getting him ready to go wasn't so nice. I had to struggle with him to get his jacket on and I felt awful dropping him off -- like, "See ya later, kid! Sorry."

But I should've known, like most unpleasant things with him, it was just a stage. Or was it?

He had missed Valentine's Day at playschool since we were in Florida. When I picked him up after his first day back, there was a bag with his name on it sitting on his carpet square. We opened it up when we got home. Inside were the most glorious contents a little boy who didn't like playschool could find -- valentines, candy, tattoos, candy, a pencil, candy. And did I mention, CANDY!?!? Shortly after seeing everything in the bag and eating a few M&Ms, he decided that playschool wasn't so bad after all. In fact, he loved playschool again.

I did explain that it was just a special thing for Valentine's Day and that he wasn't going to get candy and nice cards every day. But since then, he has been more than happy to go and still loves it as much as he did in the beginning...


...or does he?

No comments: