Wednesday, May 07, 2008

the show & share phenomenon

Elian has "Show and Share" at playschool every Wednesday. Every Wednesday we go through the same debate about what to bring. The interesting part is, he never picks anything he actually plays with (sorry Aunt Karen and Uncle Mike, I know I recently told you both he brought something you gave him to Show and Share).

He scrambles around the house, "hmmm, should I bring this?...what can I say about it?..." Then I feed him about two or three sentences of script he could use for his big presentation. We'll usually just have settled on something. Then, at the last minute, in a panic, he goes for something else. Today he wanted to bring something he already showed and shared. Normally, I probably would have let this slide, only he just brought this particular toy LAST WEEK.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Show and Share -- oh, to hear what the boy tells his classmate about this toy he never plays with. Today, when I picked him up, I asked him how Show and Share went -- what did he say about the little blue tractor he brought? His response? "I said, 'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...'"

Somehow, I don't think that is so far from the truth.

No comments: