Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the whole enchilada

Tonight I made enchiladas for dinner.

I used the mild enchilada sauce, but then still added the little can of diced chili peppers. I still thought they'd be mild enough for the boy. He seems to be able to handle more spice than I would expect a three year-old to. I like to think it's because I ate so many spicy foods while I was pregnant with him. Even so, the enchiladas turned out a lot spicier than I thought they would. I didn't realize it until I had already put some on his plate.

He took a few bites and said, "This is too spicy" (drink, drink, drink). Another bite, "I don't want to eat this" (drink, drink, drink). Then another bite, "Mama, why did you make it so spicy??" (drink, drink, drink).

We offered to make him something else. Ed ran to the kitchen and whipped up a PB&J. He continued to eat the enchilada AND the PB&J, guzzling his water after each spicy bite. I asked him why he kept eating it if it was too spicy, to which he replied, "I changed my mind. It's not too spicy after all." Listen to Mr. Big Boy with his, "after all."

"Mama, thank you for making enchiladas," he said after he finished. Then I fell off my chair.

No comments: