Tuesday, July 24, 2007

luck be a lady (more specifically, me)

I rarely buy lottery tickets. I can probably count the number of times I've actually purchased one on one hand -- or three fingers. But something came over me on our drive home Sunday. And when we stopped to get gas, before I knew it, I was saying to the cashier, "One Powerball ticket please." Handing it to me he said, "Here's your lucky ticket" with a twinkle in his eye.

There was something magical about the way he said it. Almost Willy Wonka-ish. And I'm not reading into anything AT ALL. Then, I look at the ticket and the big letter next to all the numbers is an "A". Hey, my name starts with the letter A! And the first number is 17 -- which happens to be my lucky number. (Yes, I DO have a lucky number -- going back to the day of our church's Fun-d-Fest carnival when I put my ticket on lucky 17 on the roulette wheel and won a hideous, carnival-quality stuffed clydesdale horse.)

So the way I figure I've got this Powerball thing all wrapped up. After tomorrow when they announce the winners, I will surely be posting to you live from some exotic location.

If I can only remember where I put the #*%$@ ticket.

No comments: