Monday, November 28, 2005

save the drama for your mama


This Thanksgiving I have so much to be thankful for: My family -- that's obvious. Our home. The fact that I'm able to spend so much time with my son and have a nice balance of work too. All the amazing people in our lives. The list goes on.

It was Raisin's first Thanksgiving (and if they made a onesie for that, he'd have it). He had an awesome time with all his cousins. Sure, there were a few breakdowns when the stimulation got to be too much -- proving once again that he is indeed our child. Grandma Johnson taught him "so big" which he performs with such enthusiasm. We ate a lot of turkey. Saw Harry Potter. And there were a few glorious extra hours of sleep thanks to Shannon and Grandma Johnson. And what would the holidays be without a little family drama? There was some of that, too.

Which gets me thinking: What kind of disciplinarians will we be? And what kind of kid will Raisin turn into? I don't want to be the type of parent who deprives my child of everything. But there has to be a happy medium between deprivation and indulgence. I think certain privileges like expensive video games, cars, ski trips, cell phones, etc. should be earned, not handed out to kids who aren't interested in proving they are capable of some sort of responsibility. Call me crazy.

Oh, I know I won't be the perfect parent. God knows I'll make mistakes. But man, I hope I learn from them before it's too late.

No comments: